In order to setup Google Shopping ads you will need to submit your products to Google Merchant via a product feed. After you created your Google Merchant and Google Ads accounts you need to create a data feed using the instructions below.
Before you begin
Before you start creating your product feed, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Have a Google Merchant and a Google Ads account
- Follow the Google Merchant setup checklist
Note that you will have to subscribe to a paid Squarefeed plan
Register an account
- Go to https://core.squarefeed.io/
- Fill out the registration form to sign up for an account
1. Add a new website
2. Choose your platform (Squarespace / Magento / Shopify)
3. Connect Squarespace
4. Log in your Squarespace account
5. Choose the website linked to your Squarespace account
6. Allow Squarefeed to: view product and Store Page associated, create update and delete products and image products, view public site information
7. Choose your objectives: promote Products on Google, promote Products on Facebook or both
8. Connect your Google Account (account associated with Google Merchant and Ads)
9. Allow Squarefeed access to Google Ads and Merchant center
10. If you own multiple Google Merchant Center and Ads you will have to choose the one you want to use for Squarefeed
Choose the Squarefeed subscription plan
Fill the billing details and click Next and Subscribe
- Select the primary country and language where your products will be sold and will be shipped
- Set up your shipping costs if you have any
- Configure tax settings (only for the United States)
Google requires certain fields for each product variant. We automatically map most fields for you by default, so you only need to fill in a simple questionnaire:
- Select the condition of the products. Are your products new? “Yes”, “No” or “It varies by product”
- Select the default Google product category. Start typing and you will see results autocomplete from Google’s product taxonomy.
- Select if you have product identifier (UPSs, EANs, ISBNs) * if you have you have to submit them in the feed
- Select if you have Manufacturer Part Numbers (MPNs)
- Optional – if you’re selling apparel items you’ll be asked to fill in additional attributes such as gender and age group.
- Click UPDATE FEED
- Set your daily budget
- Click PUBLISH CAMPAIGN or SKIP
If you publish your campaign, it will be created in your Google Ads account. Note that your ads will only start running when your Google Merchant products are approved. If this is your first time submitting products to Merchant center, Google might take up to 3 business days to review and approve them. Once the products are approved the ads will start running automatically.
Dashboard (Campaign stats)
- You can Enable or Pause your campaign
- You can set your daily budget
- You can see feed details: number of items in the feed and a timestamp of when it was last generated.
- From the actions dropdown bar you can:
- Edit product settings
- Refresh product data (manual update)
- Upload to Facebook Catalog (use the same feed for Facebook. You will have to copy the link provided to Facebook Catalog)
Checking your products
To see the status of your products, go to your Google Merchant account and from the left navigation click on Products > Diagnostics. Any item errors or warnings will be displayed there. Note that the warnings do not impact your ability to run ads, only the errors will lead to disapproval of specific items. Reach out to us in case you have any questions.
If this is your first time submitting products to Merchant center, Google might take up to 3 business days to review and approve them.
Go through our setup checklist
Before you submit your product feed, please take a moment to configure your tax and shipping information in your Google Merchant center account. Also, make sure that you add contact information and a refund policy to your store. Failing to do so will lead to suspension of your Google Merchant account.
See our setup checklist with instructions about each step: