After you’ve implemented conversion tracking and launched your Shopping campaign, you may want to segment your top converting products into a separate campaign. This article explains how you can do that.
- First, log into your Google Ads account.
- Navigate to your campaign.
- Select Reports -> Predefined reports (Dimensions) -> Shopping -> Shopping – Item ID. This will display a list of your products by ID.
- Select the date range as “All Time”.
This will show you a list of your top converting products, which you will need to segment into a separate campaign. To do that:
- Click Download → .csv. A report will be prepared, once it’s done save it and import it in Excel (or your preferred equivalent software).
- Filter the report descending by conversions, and delete the conversions that are lower than your selected threshold – in our case, we only selected products with more than 5 conversions.
- Change the “Item ID” column title to “id”.
- Change the “Currency” column title to “Label”. Apply the label “top selling” to all items on the list.
- Delete all other columns.
You’ve now successfully identified the items that you want to segment.
IMPORTANT: make sure the SKU IDs’ capitalization all match the feed.
- Save the document: Save As -> .csv file. We used “top sellers” as the document name.
- Go to SquareFeed -> Dynamic attributes -> Import from Spreadsheet.
- Give the new attribute a name, for example “top sellers”
- Click on Import Spreadsheet and select the spreadsheet you’ve just created.
- Click on Field mapping & Export.
- Scroll down to Custom Fields and click on Add Field, then select the name of the new field as “custom_label_0”. In the dropdown field, select “top sellers”.
- Click on Save and continue to edit.
- Click on Upload to Google Merchant.
- In Google Ads, add a new subdivision in the Product Group:
- Subdivide All products by Custom Label, then select Custom label 0:
- You will see a subdivision containing all products except the ones you highlighted – make sure you exclude these products from your campaign.
In order to keep bidding on the rest of the products, you need to duplicate the campaign on Google Ads – you do this by selecting the campaign and using the shortcut CTRL+C, then CTRL+V (or Command+C, Command+V, on a mac).
From the initial campaign you will exclude the top converting products, and from the new (copy-pasted) campaign you will exclude everything but the top converting products:
If you want to update the list without having to create a new spreadsheet, go to Dynamic Attributes in your SquareFeed account, and either click on the “x” on the right side to delete a product, or add one at the bottom of the list.